If you are a fan of the spicy flavors of life, then to my mind curries are a really healthy dinner option. Most curry recipes, especially thai style ones, call for a nutritious balance of vegetables and protein. Add to that the health benefits of heat and spices, and you have got yourself a meal that is packed with flavor and goodness.
Thai style curries usually do not require the extended cooking periods of the heavier curries containing and lamb and beef. Meaning less time checking the pot. ; )
And if that is not enough – curries often taste even better the next day! Perfect for batch style cooking where you can get more than one meal out of a cooking session.
And the key to a good curry – is a good curry paste! Making your own curry paste is pretty simple, and if you make a large enough quantity you can use this as a master curry paste by freezing it in batches.
How to Make Master Green Curry Paste
Get your curry paste ingredients – prep + blend – containerize + freeze
How to Make Mouthwatering Thai Style Curry
Grab you green curry paste – stir fry briefly with vegetables and meat (optional) – add coconut milk and simmer – serve
How’s that for efficiency? : )
This is a basic recipe for green curry paste. You can add in spices, of your choice, but just be a little light hand to begin with, as you do not want to through out the flavor balance.
Usually green Thai curry pastes call for lemon grass. I omit lemon grass. WHY???
Lemongrass gives green curry paste one of the signature flavors of Thai style curries. For this reason I leave out the lemongrass, to make for a more general curry paste. If I want to incorporate lemon grass for a Thai style flavor, I simple add some to the simmering curry. This way I can use the Master Green Curry paste for most curries, Thai style or not.
Master Green Curry PastePrint This
- 4 bunches scallions
- 1/2 cup fresh ginger
- 1 cup raw garlic
- 14 green chillies
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 6 tablespoons dried coriander
- 6 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 fistful of fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 fistfull fresh coriander
- 2 flat tablespoons lime zest
- Fish sauce to taste (if you have some anchovies in oil - you can use this oil too)
- Salt to taste (you can also use soya sauce)
- Black pepper (or if you have it, mace)
- Deseed the chillies. I recommend you wear gloves for this!!
- Peel the garlic and grate the zest.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and process with a blender stick. You can also use a blender or food processor for this. In fact – if you are super zealous you can even use a mortar and pestle traditional style.
- Reduce the ingredients to a paste. You can add more coconut milk if the consistency is too thick for processing.
- Containerize in suitable portions. Icecube trays can work well for easy up and down scaling.
- Place the containers into the freezer and enjoy the thought of ready to go quality green curry paste at your fingertips!
Get Ingredients – Amazon
- Green chillies
- Coconut milk
- Coriander seeds
- Fresh basil
- Fresh coriander
- Fish sauce
- Black pepper
If you are vegan, then a good substitute for the fish sauce or oil is coconut aminos, or simply up the soya sauce.
Pin it! : )