This is a follow up recipe to Long Chive Asian Noodles, but you can use it for basically any stir fry leftovers.
While stir fries are so so so good, the leftovers aren’t usually as appealing. Even when reheated, I find that they have just lost their zing. For awhile I have been interested in learning how to make some of those beautiful brothy Asian soups. I don’t have all of the traditional ingredients to make a proper Chinese noodle soup – but then lack is the mother of invention right! Or something like that…
If there are leftovers in the refrigerator from supper I often turn them into a sop for lunch. I love soups, they are so satisfying!
I have never thought of doing this with stir fries until I got to grips with how to make a basic chinese noodle soup. And it works! And it is delicious!
Note: A chinese person would probably be horrified at what I constitute as a Chinese soup. Did any of you see that movie where a girl moves to the East with her philandering idiot of a boyfriend and then starts working at a noodle shop? And how all of her food makes everybody cry? And the elderly man explains that to master the cooking she must heal her heart and then her food will make everybody happy? I always try to think of that when I am cooking. Making food is one of the basic acts of care and love. And people put it into their bodies, so if you make food with love in one’s heart, then your loved ones get to literally ingest your care for them.
Sorry, things got a bit woo woo there! hehe. But that is really how I think of it. : )
Should have called this soup Woo Woo Soup!
Quick Stir Fry Leftovers Chinese Noodle SoupPrint This
- Chicken or vegetable broth to cover veggies and noodles (if you do not have any stock - you can use water. The flavoring ingredients should still make it tasty)
- 1-2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 3-5 tablespoons soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons gelatin
- In a pot, heat all ingredients together. If you have a large amount of stir fry leftovers, use the higher quantity of ingredients listed. If you have a small amount – say 2 to 3 cups of leftovers – then go with the smaller quantities.
- Once the pot is simmering and the smells of the flavors start to develop, add in the left overs.
- Allow this to reach heat, and then taste. If you feel that more flavor is needed, increase one or more of the ingredients.
Pin to save this recipe : )