If you like nuttyness, love pesto and easy nutritious meals – then this recipe is for you!
It really couldn’t be simpler – steam up brown rice and sunflower seeds, add dollops of pesto and voila! You have a delicious nutrient dense dish packed full of flavor.
For this recipe I used my kale pesto, but you can really use any pesto you want. Here is a recipe for regular basil pesto, and also one for chickweed pesto.
If you are wanting to make the pesto to go with the rice – I recommend the kale one! I have really been enjoying make this kale pesto. It is high in nutrients, and a great way to add in kale to anything you are making.
I read somewhere that a great way to start making changes in one’s diet is by adding a little kale to anything! Stir fry a little to add to a takeout, put it in smoothies etc. Incidentally this pesto fits right in with this strategy. : P
One last thing about the kale pesto, is that it is de-bittered. Check it out. : )
Back to nutty rice. I really really like this recipe. Not being a big fan of brown rice I was surprised at how delicious the pesto and sunflower seeds made the rice! So, even if you are hesitant about the rice part – try it.
Nutty Pesto RicePrint This
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Water - according to packet instruction for your brown rice per cup
- 6 tablespoons kale pesto (or any other pesto of your choice)
- Combine all ingredients except for the pesto into a medium sized pot.
- Bring to the boil, low the temperature and simmer with the lid off or cracked for the time specified on your rice packet – or until the water has steamed off – or until the rice has cooked. If the rice has cooked already and there is a little water left, drain that off and return to the heat for up to a minute to steam off any remaining moisture.
- Add the pesto and toss to combine.
- Serve hot or cold.
You can increase the pesto if desired.
Pin to save this recipe