You know that rice that you get in non-fancy chinese takeouts? Its yellow, has the odd pea in it, maybe an egg on top, and tastes so good?
You love this rice, always order it, and at some point in your life you realize that it is probably laden with MSG. Or this is what happened to me.
Well, fortunately for my love of savory yellow rice – I had a brain wave of a cooking hack.
And this is what it consists of. You cook the rice in stock.
And you leave the msg salt in the pantry. Or in the store, depending on how much you have cleaned up your diet! (I have still have some delectable msg floating around. But it might be off. Or does MSG even go off?)
This trick is so simple, but so effective. The rice really comes out with a much more savory flavor than if it was cooked in water. The gorgeous yellow of course comes from adding the world’s newest darling superfood, turmeric. Perfect!
By the way – if any of you reading this were a part of or affected by the fires in California, we are thinking of your guys on this side of the world! The area I live in recently experienced some horrible fires, and one was creeping up pretty close to us! Nothing like California, but I have a some idea of what it must be like.
Another thing regarding fires. Recently I went to some TRE sessions. This was right after the fires, and sessions were in a town which was literally surrounded by sheet of flames, nobody could even drive away to safety because the roads were blocked. The lady who did the TRE sessions said that something like these disasters has huge long term effects on the community due to stored stress and trauma. And she said that TRE is perfect for releasing that.
If anyone wants to talk about TRE give me a shout. It involved no talking, just some special exercises, and releases the largest muscle in the body called the soas, which is where we store stress, tension and trauma. It’s actually quite mind blowing the effects it can have – I for one am hooked! If you want to read about my TRE experience, have a look at this post. Which also just happens to have a shakshuka recipe along with it. : )
MSG Free Copycat Chinese Restaurant Yellow RicePrint This
- Rice of your choice (for a super healthy option you can use brown or wild rice)
- 1 teaspoon tumeric (you can use 2 teaspoons if you are cooking a large portion of rice, say for 4-5 people)
- Enough stock to cook the rice in according to the packet instructions
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- Coconut oil for frying the rice
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Mix you desired quantity of rice together with the tumeric, dry in a pot.
- Add in enough stock to equal what the packet instruction in your rice call for in water.
- Set the pot on the stove and cook according to packet instructions.
- Once the rice is cooked, place some coconut oil in a wok and bring to heat.
- Add the rice and peas and toss for about 3 minutes or until the peas are cooked (they do not take long)
- While you are tossing the rice, you can add in salt and and white pepper to taste. You can also omit the salt, and use soya sauce instead if desired.
If desired, you can fry an egg to place a top each portion. As this is not a hard and fast chinese flavored side, you can pair it with just about anything you like.
Pin to save the recipe