Yup, It’s chickweed pesto.
And its good! If any of you have seen the recipes from the last two weeks or so here on RK, then you will understand. I have this spring discovered the amazing nutrient content of chickweed, and I have been so excited to see how I can get some of this delicate but, slightly grassy tasting, plant into our food.
The last thing on my list was to make a pesto. And I am so happy I did, because the chickweed goes quite seamlessly into the pesto. And pesto is….. The perfect condiment to have around. You can put it into pasta dishes, onto pizza’s, into salads, onto rice… or even just spoon a whole blob onto your bread.
Ahem… Enough of the uninhibited pesto eating.
But actually why the heck not? Regular pesto is already full of healthy ingredients – and chickweed pesto is just as, if not even more, loaded with nutrients.
Health Benefits of Chickweed
Here is a quick run down of chickweeds attributes:
- Chickweed contains 20% protein
- Chickweed contains 20 X more iron than beef steak
- Chickweed is an oldtime weight loss herb
- Chickweed cleans out cells and can have a strong detoxifying effect
Wanna make some chickweed pesto? : )
Chickweed PestoPrint This
- 2 cups of chopped chickweed
- 150 ml of olive oil
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds or pine nuts
- 4 large cloves grated / crushed garlic
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients except for the nuts into a food processor.
- Blend very lightly. The chickweed cuts fine quickly.
- Now add the seeds, and give another couple of quizzes. I like to keep the seeds chunky, that way they give chewiness to the pesto and whatever dish you make with the pesto.
- Once the processing is done, add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Spoon into a small glass jar with a lid that seals and store in the refrigerator.
The quantities listed are for a small batch so that you can make it and and taste it before doing a larger batch once the small one is finished. If you want to make a big batch first off, simply double the quantities.