Sometime ago I went through a phrase when I was convinced that low carb eating was the answer. Thankfully with time I have a more balanced view on things, and once again eat bread if I feel like it, potatoe like a crazy person, and noodles in moderation. To be honest, I struggle so much with persistent nausea (sometimes I think I should have called this blog The Nauseous Kitchen), that if a potato is all I want to eat, I am damn well going to eat that potato and be happy. I can’t see myself gaining weight when getting queasy half way through all meals! So I think I am in the safe zone.
But besides weight and health issues, sometimes I just don’t actually want to eat bread. Sometimes I just want crunch and freshness, but maybe something a little more grounding that a salad.
And so here are my coz lettuce and tuna ‘sandwiches’.
There has been some gorgeous flat leafed coz lettuce coming from the farm’s garden, and it works wonderfully to house the tuna. You can use any lettuce which has reasonably flat leaves. Big baby spinach might also work.
What I like about this recipe is that you can pack these up into a lunch box for an on the go lunch, which you can eat with your hands. Just pack a serviette as well, incase you get any tuna on your fingers. You could also place a couple layers on top of each other, and wrap these in parchment paper for a real ‘takeout style’ lunch box meal.
Lettuce & Tune LayersPrint This
- 1 tin of tuna
- 4 large coz lettuce leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- 2 sundried tomatoes cut into slivers (I use the scissors!)
- Handful of fresh chives, chopped
- Handful of celery tops, chopped (if you do not have any of these you can substitute in for parsley, or leave them out)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl except for the lettuce.
- Lay the lettuce out, and spoon the mix onto two leaves.
- Spread it out evenly over the leaves, and then top each with the other two leaves.
If you need a bigger lunch, simply double up the recipe.